Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Webfoot farmer turned barefoot beach bum

Yes, I'm a terrible blogger.  But who wants that on their tombstone?  "She was a blogger extraordinaire."  Let's face it, blog is not a poetic word.

Okay, so we jumped to February 2015.  Although I'm still a "Fake Farmer," the farm is in the capable hands of a house sitter while I am now a temporary apartment dweller in the City of the Angels, or as I call it, "Halos of Smoke Rings."  Not because of the smog, but because apparently 75% of apartment dwellers are required to smoke, or so it seems.  These are the steps that led to this adventure:
1.  Husband retired after 34 years of teaching.
2.  I gained more online transcription work, making it very portable.
3. We (foolishly) told God we would go wherever God wanted us to go.
4. Megan's track coach at Biola suddenly retired 2 days before Christmas.
5. Bill fit the, uh, bill for an interim track coach.
6. So we packed up the truck and we moved to Beverly...or Fullerton, that is.  No movie stars, but there is a swimming pool and bonus!  A hot tub!

Really, it was quite amazing how God lined up all the details that had to fall into place for this to work.  (Can you tell I'm the daughter of an engineer the way I number everything?)

1.    I felt God telling me to back off of most of my commitments, including Bible study, which really broke my heart, but it's obvious now why he wanted me to. 
2.    We had to make a quick decision about the job and step out in faith, not get "all our ducks in a row first."  My ducks may never have lined up otherwise. 
3.    We found a capable woman who was looking for a house sitting situation and likes to clean (Praise you Jesus!).
4.    We have been lent a nice table that we needed and given a toaster oven, as well.
5.    God has been speaking to me just about every day about "trusting him without borders,"  and "walk upon the waters wherever he may lead me." Yes, I suddenly hear that Oceans song at least twice every day.  Really. 
6.    As I began to pack in earnest, my Daily Bread story was called "Leaving it Behind."  For those who know me, I'm a pack rat and I like to have all my things around me "just in case."  It says, "Our new life of following Jesus Christ may mean that we have to leave things behind, including those that don't bring lasting satisfaction." Ha!

So that's a lot for one day.  Maybe I will get back to this again this week, or maybe another year or two.  Who knows?
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think you are quite good at blogging though I do agree it doesn't make for an epic tombstone. I enjoyed seeing what you've been up to and your musings. Keep us posted! Keep putting these links on Facebook to remind me to come here and check your blogs! Stay strong sister!

    ReplyDelete