Friday, February 20, 2015

LENT - SACRIFICING FARM ANIMALS

Okay, before you animal lovers get your no-animals-were-harmed-making-them-panties in a bunch, you must know I am not talking about blood sacrifice, but chore sacrifice.  Not really a sacrifice at all, but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

LENT
So Lent began on Ash Wednesday, February 18th this year.  Since we are not able to go to our Oregon church Ash Wednesday service -- one of my favorite services of the year -- I searched out and found a local one in Fullerton.  However, by the time Bill got home, I was so hungry I forgot all about it and we went out for a decadent dinner.  That's kinda like Moses chomping on a Philly Cheesesteak with carmelized onions while all the Israelites stagger through the desert on their manna diet. An inauspicious beginning, wouldn't you say?

In previous years I have bravely chosen something to give up, such as sugar, tea, or spandex (not really).  If you read earlier blogs, you would even see that one year I gave up all foods except seven. 

But this year, being out of my element in our little one-bedroom apartment in the concrete jungle, I just don't have the stamina to give up something I daily indulge in.  So in an effort to still sound spiritual, I am proclaiming a sacrifice that I already made by moving here:  No contact with my animals, including feeding, watering, brushing, egg gathering, petting, and cuddling my goats, chickens and cat.    Oh hey, I can list other things I've given up too.
* Clean, smoke-free air.
* Really green things
* Church where everyone knows my name (I don't have a favorite bar stool, but a favorite pew)

I suppose I could list more things, but then this would turn into a complaint-fest and I don't mean it to be.  Let's just say that Lent looks a little different this year.  In order to keep turning my face toward God, I will need to remind myself how blessed I am that someone else is doing all  my chores.  And I will also need to work on my reaction to the smokers downstairs, as I think slamming the windows every time I smell it is not "What Would Jesus Do."

No comments:

Post a Comment