Friday, April 8, 2016

Road Trip: Chapter VI

Charleston, y'all

Ever since I saw Gone With The Wind when I was about 11 I've wanted to see a plantation.  I also wished I had a charming accent so I could make one syllable words into two.  "Oh Ray-ett, I do declay-uh!"  We did visit Boone Hall plantation in Mt. Pleasant, but I was disappointed because it didn't look exactly like Tara, although the tree-lined drive was perfect. 


 
 
If you haven't seen the movie you have to watch it.  Then watch Carol Burnett in her spoof, "Went With The Wind."  One of my favorite sketches.
 
 
 


 
Of course the sad part of plantations is that their very existence thrived and depended on the whipped backs of slaves.  We spent a good deal of time going through slave row as well.

Bimbo Bisque

Part of our travel experience always involves sampling local specialties.  Our tour book said we MUST try she-crab soup, shrimp and grits (gree-its) and Huguenot torte.  So try we must!  We scored all three with a good recommendation to Fleet Landing right on the water in Charleston.  The shrimp and grits were good, but the she-crab soup and Huguenot torte were amazing.  The torte wasn't really a torte, nor was it Huguenot, but when you're stuffing warm apples and pecans and sugar and rich vanilla ice cream into your mouth, who really cares?  Now if I were to have a soup that comes from girl crabs only, I would name it Bimbo Bisque just so I could have a good laugh every time someone ordered it.  Go ahead, try it and keep a straight face. 

And the rest...

We took another boat tour, this time of the Charleston Harbor, including Fort Sumter.  Don't know why, but they love to brag that they started the war.  Speaking of tours, remember when the Gilligan's Island theme song totally dissed the Professor and Mary Ann by saying, "And the rest"?  Well I'm not trying to dis Georgia or Alabama, but we just drove through them too quickly to glean anything noteworthy about those fine states.  Besides, I didn't see any machinery made entirely out of bamboo and coconuts. 

Blessings:
Good food with good company.
Beautiful weather in Charleston.
We came back from our "3 hour tour."




No comments:

Post a Comment